Monday, June 04, 2007

 

One Month to the 10K

A few months ago I wrote of my goal to get myself into better shape, and run the Peachtree Road Race on July 4. That's a month away.

I ran a few times a week, and eventually did get to the point where I could run six miles without stopping. Unfortunately, the running took a toll on my aging body, leaving me with sore joints. Playing racquetball didn't help either. So, for the past few weeks, instead of running I've been riding the stationary cycles and elliptical machines at the gym. I've been doing this five times per week, an hour at a time, so I hope I've maintained my endurance. The low-impact nature of the machines has allowed my joints to heal enough that they don't hurt any more.

I've lost almost twenty pounds along the way. I hate shopping for clothing, but the need to buy a few smaller pairs of pants was a welcome chore.

Anyway, now I've got about four weeks to prepare for the actual event. My plan is to intensify the gym workout for a couple of weeks, and then ease into some actual running the two weeks prior to the race.

There's an evil voice in my head that keeps telling me that I've already demonstrated that I can run the distance, so I should just call the goal "complete" and stay in bed on the Fourth. I'm trying not to listen to that voice.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?