Sunday, April 01, 2007

 

QuickBooks or Bust

I've written before about QuickBooks. Every time I use it, I get angry, so I don't use it any more than I have to. Unfortunately, that means that invoices get sent out late, bank statements are waiting to be reconciled, and I still haven't figured out how to do payroll so that the corporation can pay it's #1 employee.

But Kris Johnson, CFO, can't put these things off forever, so I bought a couple of books about QuickBooks, and I'm diving in.

If you never hear from me again, it's because QuickBooks led me to take my own life. Avenge me!

[Update: The books I bought describe QuickBooks 2007. Unfortunately, I have QuickBooks 2006, so the books are less helpful than I'd hoped. There is no special upgrade price for QuickBooks, so it will cost me $200 to get the current version. So do I upgrade, stick with what I've got, or choose a different product that's not going to cost me $200/year?]


Comments:
Dude, you should talk to my wife. She's been freelancing for 10 years and she's been able to handle everything she needs with just Quicken and a CPA who does her taxes.

Also, it sounds like a nice little weekend programming project: write a script to pull your invoice information out of a database and output some RTF invoices (there's an O'Reilly book I have called the RTF Pocket Guide which would be useful).

But whatever you do, don't buy software you hate, because you won't use it. No bucks: No Buck Rogers.
 
I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with QuickBooks once I learn how to use it. I'm going to try to treat this the same way that I learn any new technology, and try to make it fun (or interesting, at least).

As annoying as QuickBooks is, I'm pretty sure the people at Intuit know more about accounting than I do, so I'm going to try to figure out why the designed the product the way it is.

I'd really prefer not to write my own software to do any of my accounting. I've decided that I don't write production software for free anymore.

A product like QuickBooks costs a small fraction of what a weekend's worth of paid work would be, so it's worth the price if I can figure it out in a weekend or two.
 
No need to upgrade. The payroll module in 2006 is actually simpler then 2007, for some reason they added more steps in 2007 that weren't needed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?