Wednesday, March 07, 2007

 

My First TV

I'm not sure why, but I've been thinking about the first television set that was "mine." It was a small black-and-white Philco TV set, given to my by my maternal grandfather, I think. I got it when I was 12 or 13 years old.

It was connected to an antenna that my parents put up in the attic. I wonder how many households these days have an antenna—most people now have cable or satellite as their TV source.

I remember watching Blue Hawaii on this TV set. In those pre-cable days, I assume I was watching on WTBS (Ted Turner's station), which was a local UHF station.

It's strange to think that the youngest generation will never know the time when TV sets only received a handful of stations, or that having a TV set in one's bedroom was a luxury. My TV had no remote, nor high-definition, but it was the coolest thing a teenager could own.


Comments:
Surprised you remember! Grandpa Sam loved you so much and was so proud of his first grandson and everything in which you had an interest. Wish he had been around to see all of your acccomplishments. He would be so proud.
 
Its really a happy moment when you first purchase TV by your own income. Everyone feel great on the day when the first item they purchased out of their income. May be it will be small item or big, but ultimately that was his.


fitness
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?