Wednesday, February 28, 2007

 

Fitness

After thinking through my options, I've decided that my next few hobbies will be focused on physical fitness. If I can get myself into shape, I won't feel so bad about being 40, and it will be easier to take on James Bond's tasks.

My main goal is to run the Peachtree Road Race, a 10K run on July 4. I certainly don't expect to win—I just want to be able to run the 6.2 miles without slowing to a walk.

I can run a couple of miles now, so I think I can build up my endurance over the next four months. I've been running once or twice a week, so I hope that if I start running three or four times a week, I'll reach my goal.

I've also joined a health club (LA Fitness). It is about a mile and a half from my apartment, so I hope I won't find too many excuses to not go. A friend from work wants to play racquetball once or twice a week. I'd also like to swim laps.

(While the Membership Director gave me a tour of the club, there was a very attractive woman working out in the aerobics room. I wonder if she "just happens to be there" whenever they are giving a tour to a prospective male member. And I wonder if a hunky guy "happens to be there" when a woman is given the tour.)

I'm going to look into golf lessons when it gets a little warmer. I also noticed that the local school system is going to be offering a beginners' fencing class, so I want to give that a try.

So, with any luck, at 40 I'll be in better shape than I was in at 30.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?