Sunday, December 03, 2006

 

Slingin'

At Sean O'Leary's suggestion, I watched an episode of HBO's "The Wire." During the episode, one of the characters was picked up by the police for "slingin'." I didn't know what the term meant. I figured it had something to do with drugs, but I wanted to be sure, so I searched the Internet.

That got me to Slinging.org, a site which endeavors to be "the definitive source for slinging related information and news." This site is about the primitive weapon featured in the story of David and Goliath.

I was pretty sure that the kid on "The Wire" wasn't picked up for packing an unlicensed sling, but I started reading the articles on the site. I've always been fascinated by primitive technology, and as weapons technology goes, the sling is just past the spear. I was also interested in the techniques needed to use a sling—it's not just a point-and-shoot kind of thing.

I'm not sure why, but I suddenly needed to have my very own sling. I considered going to the store to pick up materials, but it was close to midnight. After searching my closets for suitable components, I sacrificed an old pair of leather shoes, cutting out a panel behind the heel to use as the sling's pouch, and using the shoelaces as the cords. (Any sling experts need not tell me that shoelaces are a bad choice. I was improvising.)

So now I have a sling. If one lives in an apartment, and it's midnight on a Saturday, where could one go to practice his sling technique? If I'd had some marshmallows, I might have tried slinging a few down the hallway between my living room and the door, but I had none. I considered a trip to the 24-hour grocery store, but I decided my sling practice would just have to wait.

By the way, according to the Urban Dictionary, slingin' refers to drug dealing.


Comments:
Baltimorese is a whole different language. You think it's related to english, but it's really not.

BTW, what did you think of the Wire. It got you to destroy a pair of shoes at midnight, so it must have been evocative in some fashion.
 
The Wire looked interesting enough that I'll watch a couple more episodes to try to learn more about the characters and the storylines.
 
My recommendation is to watch it from the first season via netflix. There's a ton going on and it's builds from the beginning. My wife started watching during the second season and she really enjoyed starting from the beginning and seeing how it was all related.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?