Saturday, August 12, 2006

 

Something Different

A new boss is asking me to take over development of an ASP.NET-based web application. For the first time ever, I'm going to get paid to develop software in a programming language other than C or C++. And I didn't need to switch employers!

Happy, happy! Joy, joy!

I'm spending the weekend trying to get up to speed with ASP.NET 2.0 and C# 2.0. I'm not a complete newbie to .NET, but my last experience with it was three years ago, using version 1.1 of the framework. C# has just a few new features, but ASP.NET has evolved quite a bit.

I'm reading Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0: Core Reference by Dino Esposito. It seems to be one of those all-too-rare good programming books. It doesn't have a screenshot on every page, and the code examples are short and focused. It barely mentions Visual Studio. It's not written for dummies. It's written for real programmers.

I expect to get to have a lot of fun at work over the next few weeks. I won't have to get my fix of new programming languages and libraries in my spare time—I'll get to do that during working hours. (Unfortunately, this means my OCaml chess program probably won't get finished.)

In a couple of months, I'll be writing about how horrible C#, ASP.NET, Visual Studio 2005, IIS, ADO.NET, and SQL Server all are. But right now, I'm excited.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?