Monday, May 29, 2006

 

My To-Learn List

Stress and other causes of unhappiness at work for the past few months have caused me to neglect "personal development." Through the years, I've always spent a lot of my free time learning more about my craft, but recently I've started hating computers so much that I can't bear to do any programming or study at home.

That needs to change. I'm making a list of things I'd like to explore that I can refer to when I get those "I'm so tired of C++ and Windows I could scream" rages:

  1. OCaml
  2. Haskell
  3. Eclipse
  4. AJAX
  5. MySQL internals
  6. OpenGL

A lot of this knowledge won't be "marketable." That's fine—I'm doing this for myself, not for my current or future employers. If all they want out of me is C++ and Windows, then that's all I'll give them.


Comments:
I'm surprised to not see Ruby on your list.

And isn't Eclipse just and IDE?
 
I've already learned Ruby and done some playing around with Rails. I'm not an expert, but I think I've covered all the interesting bits.

I thought Eclipse was just an IDE too, but I keep hearing that it is the newest super-terrific tool that makes coding easy and fun. I want to see what people are talking about. Unfortunately, I always lose interest while waiting for Eclipse to start itself up.
 
"I always lose interest while waiting for Eclipse to start itself up."

That's where I am with it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?