Sunday, March 05, 2006

 

Finding Time to Fly

In November 2005, my final month of private pilot training, I had twelve flights. In December, when I had my license and was working only part-time, I had six flights. Since the beginning of the year, I've only had two flights: one at the end of January, and one today. This isn't good.

There have been a couple of weekends when I wanted to fly, but couldn't due to weather. However, the lack of flying is really due to lack of time. When I was working part-time, I could fly a couple of times during the week and still have my weekends free for other stuff. Now, I have to choose between flying and "other stuff" on my weekends, and the latter usually takes priority. Flying is fun, but not as much fun as hanging out with family and friends, or taking a long afternoon weekend nap.

I'd like to start training for an instrument rating, but I really can't do that with my new work schedule. I'm going to be traveling a lot in the next six months, usually on short notice, so I can't maintain a reasonable training schedule. I suppose I could spend my evenings in hotels studying instrument stuff, but without actual flying to go along with it, it will be difficult to absorb the material.

I really don't want to be one of those guys who flies only a few times a year. They scare me. They do dumb things, like overflying Washington, DC without an appropriate flight plan. If I can't find a way to meet my twice-a-month goal, it would be a lot safer to just give up flying.

Life would be a whole lot nicer if I could just have everything I want, and an infinite amount of time to enjoy it. Why can't it work that way?


Comments:
I have the same problem, I work a lot, which means I have the money to fly, but not the time to fly as much as I like.

I do agree that if you can't fly 2 or 3 times a month then you have to become increasing careful about the type of flights you attempt.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?