Sunday, November 13, 2005

 

Flying Lesson #68: Landing Practice

Over the past couple of months, my landings have been getting worse. They are always safe, but they have been getting very "firm." I figured I had forgotten some fundamental principle, so today I asked my instructor to re-teach me how to land. That's a good thing to learn, a week before the checkride.

My instructor diagnosed the problem quickly: I was not pulling the nose up enough in the flare. I've become so concerned about ballooning up that my landings have very flat—that is, I'm keeping the plane almost level and letting all three wheels touch down at about the same time, rather than landing on the two main wheels and keeping the nose wheel off the ground. After hearing "Get the nose up! Get the nose up!" a few dozen times over the course of a few landings, things started to click. I think I know how to land now.

After the flight, my instructor put the appropriate endorsements in my logbook that allow me to do the checkride. He also gave me a copy of FAA Form 8710-1, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application. The day before the checkride, I'll be flying with him again, and we'll make sure all the paperwork is in order.

Logged today: 1.3 hours in N9103M, with 9 takeoffs and 9 landings.


Comments:
Good luck with your checkride!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?