Monday, November 14, 2005

 

ATIS Out of Service

Before my last flight, while getting a computerized weather briefing, I saw a local NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) indicating that the ATIS on frequency 128.4 was out of service.

(For you non-pilots: ATIS (Automatic Terminal Information Service) is a recorded message that is broadcast continuously. It contains information about the weather, runways in use, runway and taxiway closures, and other stuff pilots need to know before approaching or departing the airport.)

So, when I tuned into 128.4 after getting the engine started, I expected to hear nothing. But it was working fine. I suspected that the NOTAM might be out of date.

It was surprising when the ATIS broadcast ended with "ATIS 128.4 out of service." It was telling me that what I was listening to was not really working. I suppose that makes sense in some bizarre FAA-sorta way.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?